Minute Maid Sampling Case Study
Minute Maid wanted to incorporate the idea that quality inns that serve top-notch gourmet breakfasts also serve the best orange juice. The promotion was to incorporate a sweepstakes supported by a sampling program. It was called the “Minute Maid Sensational Bed & Breakfast Giveaway.”
- Minute Maid orange juice products contained game pieces for the sweepstakes prizes.
- Minute Maid purchased a bed & breakfast in Florida to give away as the grand prize, renaming it “The Minute Maid Bed & Breakfast.”
- First prize was a software program to help consumers plan a vacation, Microsoft Expedia Trip Planner.
- Second prize was a customized American Historic Inns, Inc. guidebook that included more than 2,000 inns. Each inn honored a Buy-One-Night-Get-One-Night-Free Certificate included in the guide.
- Sampling program at B&Bs. Approximately 1,000 inns nationwide received coupons so they could get free 96-oz. containers of Minute Maid orange juice to serve at breakfast. They also received cents-off coupons to distribute to guests, along with table tents for the breakfast tables. American Historic Inns, Inc. handled fulfillment of coupons and table tents.
- On-pack advertising on all Minute Maid products, including game pieces
- In-store coupons
- Print advertising
- Media PR campaign
Minute Maid successfully branded itself as a top-notch breakfast product to both innkeepers and guests. Some innkeepers commented that they previously served other orange juice brands because they were unaware of the large, 96-oz. size of Minute Maid orange juice. After trying the large size, many innkeepers switched their brand. For additional innkeeper and consumer comments, see our comments section.